Hang Lung Young Architects Program

With an aim to foster an appreciation of architecture in Hong Kong, the "Hang Lung Young Architects Program" invites over 300 F.2 to F.5 students to explore our city and gain a deeper insight into the features of Hong Kong’s architecture and its history. Guided by expert architects and mentors, students will join an exciting line-up of lectures, guided tours, interactive workshops and an Architectural Tour Design Competition.

Program Agenda

Program content Date
Launch Ceremony and Core Guided Tour 14.10.2017
Architectural Tour x 3 10.2017 - 04.2018
Photo Contest 02.12.2017
Lecture & Workshop 1 16.12.2017
Lecture & Workshop 2 03.03.2018
Architectural Tour Design Competition 04.2018 - 06.2018
Presentations at Schools 05.2018 - 06.2018
Graduation Ceremony 07.2018
Overseas Architectural Tour (winning teams) 08.2018


Each team will be assigned a university student or graduate of Architecture (or related disciplines) as mentor for the duration of the entire program. Under the guidance of the mentors, each team will engage in a field study in one of the 18 districts according to their preference. They will then be asked to participate in the Architectural Tour Design Competition, using the architectural skills learned from the program and their creativity in planning the architectural tour route for their district of choice.

Missions for "Young Architects"

  1. Actively take part in four guided tours, two lectures and workshops and school sharing
    • Apart from the opening and graduation ceremony, students who attended at least 4 of the activities mentioned above will be awarded a "Young Architects Program" certificate
    • Presentations at Schools: Team members will share the experience in their own school through presentation or other creative formats (display boards, booth, extra-curricular activities), with a view to presenting their own creative design and learning outcomes
  2. Photo Contest
    Theme: Buildings that Smile

    Photo Requirements:
    • Photos must be taken by the students themselves and that the work must be original
    • Size of the photos should not exceed 10MB and not less than 2MB
    • Photos must be submitted in the form of JPEG
    • The file name must contain the student's full name, e.g. chantaiman.jpg
    Photo Submission:
    • Each student should submit only ONE photo
    • Photos should be submitted to youngarchitects@hanglung.com no later than 23:59pm on Dec 2, 2017 (Sat)
    • All photos will be judged by professional photographers
    • 10 winning entries will be posted onto HLYAP’s Facebook and Instagram
    • Each winner will be awarded an instant camera
    Date of Announcement:
    • Winners will be announced on Dec 16, 2017 (Sat) at the lecture session Prizes will also be presented
  3. Architectural Tour Design Competition
    It is expected that after taking part in the interactive workshops, lectures and guided walking tours, students will be able to grasp the basic knowledge of and to appreciate the beauty of architecture. Under this Competition, each team is required to design and conduct an architectural tour that can be completed within one hour. The Competition is divided into two parts: (a) proposal submission; and (b) conducting a guided tour.

    The competition is divided into two parts:

    Part 1: Proposal Submission

    • Each team must submit ONE proposal
    • Proposal content: Each proposal must contain (a) theme, and why do you choose this theme; (b) proposed route, and why do you think this route reflects your theme; (c) brief description of each spot along the route
      Students are also welcomed to include any other elements that are deemed useful for the judges
    • Proposal format: The word-based proposal should be no more than six single-sided A4 pages, and should illustrate students’ design concepts with the help of images, illustrations, or any other media that are deemed appropriate. The proposal can be written in English or Chinese
    • Submission deadline: Proposals must be submitted to youngarchitects@hanglung.com no later than 23:59pm on Apr 14, 2018 (Sat)

    Part 2: Conducting the Architectural Tour

    • After submitting the proposal, each team will then be asked to conduct their own architectural tour for a group of judges between Apr 21 and Jun 16, 2018
    • Date of the tour will be determined by a lucky draw conducted by the organizer. The exact dates of the tours will be announced on Dec 16, 2017 (Sat) at the lecture session
    • All team members must take part in the tour
    • The tour must be finished within one hour, and the route must be in line with the proposal
    • During the tour, each team can use appropriate tools to assist in conducting the tour, e.g. maps, tablet, images, or videos

Marking Scheme

Activity Judging Criteria

16 December 2017
  • 20% Team spirit; active participation
  • 20% Creativity
  • 20% Aesthetics
  • 20% Effective use of knowledge
  • 20% Clear presentation of ideas
Photo Contest

2 December 2017
  • 30% Relevant to theme
  • 25% Aesthetics
  • 25% Creativity
  • 20% Thoughtful caption

3 March 2018
  • 20% Team spirit; active participation
  • 20% Creativity
  • 20% Aesthetics
  • 20% Effective use of knowledge
  • 20% Clear presentation of ideas
Architectural Tour Design Competition

Part I: Proposal Submission

14 April 2018
  • 30% Theme-related (e.g. Is the proposed route related to architecture?)
  • 30% Innovation and creativity (e.g. Is the proposed route unique and innovative? Are the proposed spots of interests newly explored?)
  • 20% Route design (e.g. Is the proposed route a smooth one and can it be finished within an hour?)
  • 20% Presentation of content (e.g. Is the presentation of the proposal clear enough)
Architectural Tour Design Competition

Part II: Conducting the Tour

21 April – 16 June 2018
  • 20% Effective use of knowledge (e.g. Do team members make effective use of the knowledge they have obtained from the Program?)
  • 20% Participants’ intake (e.g. Would the participants know more about the tour after their participation?)
  • 20% Presentation (e.g. Are team members able to present their ideas clearly?)
  • 15% Team spirit (e.g. Do team members demonstrate team spirit throughout the tour?)
  • 15% Interactive experience (e.g. Does the tour offer any interactive elements to participants?)
  • 10% In line with proposal (e.g. Is the route the same as what is presented in the proposal?)

Incentive Scheme

Incentives will be given to students who perform particularly well at various missions.

  • Completion of all interactive games on the program book:
    Secret prizes
    Prizes to be presented at the Graduation Ceremony to be held in 2018 Jul

  • Photo Contest:
    Instant cameras (10 prizes)
    Prizes to be presented at the lecture session on Dec 16, 2017 (Sat)

  • Workshops:
    Secret prizes
    Prizes to be presented at the two workshops to be held on Dec 16, 2017 (Sat) and Mar 3, 2018 (Sat)

  • Architectural Tour Design Competition:
    Overseas architectural study tours and scholarships for the champion, first runner-up and one second runner-up teams. Prizes to be presented at the Graduation Ceremony to be held in 2018 Jul
    • Champion: Architectural study tour to Japan; HK$18,000 scholarship for the whole team
    • First runner-up: Architectural study tour to Singapore; HK$12,000 scholarship for the whole team
    • Second runner-up: Architectural study tour to Shanghai; HK$6,000 scholarship for the whole team

Results of 2017-2018

Please click this link.

Terms & Conditions

Click here

The Organizer

Hang Lung Properties Limited (HKSE stock code: 00101), a constituent stock of the Hang Seng Index and Hang Seng Corporate Sustainability Indices in Hong Kong, is a leading real estate developer operating in Hong Kong and mainland China. In 2017, the Company has been listed, for the first time, as an Index Component of the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) in the Asia Pacific Index. Only the top 20% of the 600 largest companies from the Asia Pacific have been selected, while only nine companies in Hong Kong are included in the DJSI Asia Pacific Index.

Boasting a diversified portfolio of investment properties in Hong Kong, the Company has progressively branched out into the Mainland since the 1990s, with our distinctive footprint now fully established in Shanghai, Shenyang, Jinan, Wuxi, Tianjin, Dalian, Kunming and Wuhan, with all the Mainland projects carrying the "66"brand. In May 2018, Hang Lung won an auction for a prime plot of land in Hangzhou, marking the Company’s expansion to the ninth Mainland city.

“We Do It Right” is the business philosophy honored by Hang Lung in every aspect of our operations. We value business development as well as social responsibility. Our Hang Lung As One volunteer teams contributed over 14,000 hours of service to Hong Kong and Mainland communities in 2016, organizing over 100 activities, mainly focusing on youth development, elderly support, as well as environmental protection.

Hang Lung Properties has started organizing its unique “Architectural Tours” since 2014, guiding students in the exploration of different districts in Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, and the New Territories, with a view to promoting an understanding of the features of Hong Kong’s architecture.

To learn more about Hang Lung, please visit: http://www.hanglung.com

The Co-organizer

Walk in Hong Kong is a leading local cultural enterprise dedicated to organizing original, fun, and informative tours; advocating heritage architecture conservation initiatives; and contributing to cultural training for the young generation. Founded in 2013, Walk in Hong Kong has since organized unforgettable experiences for over 5,000 participants. The organization has devoted a year to the study of the State Theatre in North Point and its conservation. These efforts have paid off with the status of the theater raised to a Grade I historic building. Coming from a variety of professional backgrounds, the team of Walk in Hong Kong has plenty of interesting stories to share about Hong Kong. They all share a passion for conservation and enjoy promoting an authentic Hong Kong experience. The most popular tours organized by Walk in Hong Kong include "Walk in James Wong: a Re-tour of Sham Shui Po", "Tour of Hong Kong Local Movies", "The Battle of Hong Kong 75th Anniversary Commemorative Tour", and "Hungry Ghost Festival Tour".

For more information about Walk in Hong Kong, please visit: http://walkin.hk/

Program Advisors

  • Mr. Aric CHEN, Lead Curator, Design and Architecture, M+
  • Mr. Marvin CHEN, President, The Hong Kong Institute of Architects
  • Prof. Nelson CHEN, Director, School of Architecture, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
  • Dr. Cecilia CHU, President, DOCOMOMO Hong Kong
  • Mr. Wilfred KAM, Director, Project Management, Hang Lung Properties
  • Ms. Christine LAM, Global Design Principal, Aedas
  • Mr. Tony LAM, Director, AGC Design Ltd.
  • Dr. LEE Ho Yin, Head, Division of Architectural Conservation Programmes, The University of Hong Kong
  • Mr. Moses LEUNG, Director, Development & Design, Hang Lung Properties
  • Mr. Peter LEUNG, Director, Project Management, Hang Lung Properties
  • Mr. Adrian LO, Director, Project Management, Hang Lung Properties
  • Dr. Ronald LU, Founder and Chairman, Ronald Lu & Partners
  • Prof. Nasrine SERAJI, Head of Department of Architecture, The University of Hong Kong
  • Dr. Joseph TING Sun Pao, Adjunct Professor, Department of History, The Chinese University of Hong Kong

How to Participate

Thank you for your interest in "Hang Lung Young Architects Program". The application for the 2017-2018 program has closed.

Results of 2017-2018

Please click this link.

Sheung Wan was where Chinese migrants first settled in the newly-founded Victoria City. It is here that we find the Edwardian-style Western Market, that back in the day was a hive of activity for the local community. Further uphill, Kwong Fook I Tsz may be found, which once sheltered the sick and dying, as well as Man Mo Temple, where disputes were arbitrated. The same district is also home to the old Pathological Institute, a handsome building with verandahs, wrought-iron balconies, and double tiled roofs. Nearby stand the elegant, red brick YMCA building, an interesting Chicago School-style structure with a Chinese roof, and the utilitarian former Police Married Quarters built on nineteenth century granite platforms. Collectively, these buildings tell the stories of old Sheung Wan.
Western Market Western Market (The North Block of former Sheung Wan marketplace) was built in 1906 in the Edwardian style featuring brickwork and arched windows.
Possession Street Possession Street, originally known as "Tai Hang Ho", is the street of historical importance in Hong Kong. Before Hong Kong opened up as a port, pit water flowed through the street into the harbour. The English name of the street is reminiscent of the landing of British troops there and of the history of Hong Kong's occupation.
Kwong Fook I Tsz Kwong Fook I Tsz is a temple bestowing blessings on the spirits of Mainland Chinese who worked and died in Hong Kong. It played the same roles as many temples do in Hong Kong, including offering medical services and helping those in need. The temple is now a Grade Two historic building, preserving the tablets inside.
Pound Lane The word "pound" of "Pound Lane" means lairage in Chinese. The street was named after the British troops setting barriers for storing livestock and army provisions during the British occupation of Hong Kong Island. The stone walls next to the lane were built in a Hakka style, leaving spaces between walls for vegetation to grow.
Blake Garden The site of Blake Garden was originally a living area for the Chinese. Aiming at improving air ventilation and living conditions of the Chinese population, the Garden was built in 1894 following a plague outbreak.
Hong Kong Museum of Medical Sciences The Hong Kong Museum of Medical Sciences was housed in the Old Pathological Institute, which was inaugurated in 1906 to prevent and control plague outbreaks in Hong Kong. It is an Edwardian-style building with symbolic Netherlands-style gables, red brick walls and horizontal plaster decorations.
Ladder Street Ladder Street was built between 1841-1850, connecting Queen's Road Central to Caine Road with steps. Originally built with granite, most of the steps are now paved with concrete slabs, keeping the historical retaining wall, tree walls and parapet. It is listed as a Grade One historic building.
Chinese YMCA of Hong Kong Bridges Street Centre Built in 1918, the YMCA Bridges Street Centre featured Hong Kong's first indoor swimming pool and a wooden running track. Combining Chicago School architecture with Chinese glazed roof tiles, the building showcases the blending of East and West.
Man Mo Temple Constructed between 1847 and 1862, Man Mo Temple served as a meeting place for dealing with matters related to the Chinese community. The ridge of the roof is decorated with exquisite Shiwan ceramic ornaments in the form of jewels, bats, pumpkins, and other auspicious objects.
PMQ PMQ was home to the former Police Married Quarters on Hollywood Road and the original location of the Central School. It is occupied by two parallel blocks comprising numerous living units. Each unit is functional in its minimalism, following modernist codes with no compartments, for maximum use of space.
Since the beginning of the colonial era in 1841, the Central district has been at the very heart of the life of Hong Kong. Power resides in its rich collection of political, commercial, judicial, cultural, religious and military buildings, which have come to define this roaring engine of the city. From vintage colonial edifices to avant-garde designs, the built heritage of Central speaks to more than a century's worth of stories. Stand at this fulcrum of the city's life and marvel at the fantastic array of architectural gems that have shaped Hong Kong.
Asia Society Hong Kong Centre Formerly the Explosives Magazine of the Victoria Barracks, the Asia Society Hong Kong Centre was built in the 1840s and is one of the few surviving buildings of such type in Asia. The four barracks buildings were built in an utilitarian style, and were redeveloped as the new address of the Asia Society Hong Kong in 2012.
Flagstaff House Museum of Tea Ware The Museum of Tea Ware, also known as the Flagstaff House, originally served as the office and residence of the Commander of the British Forces in Hong Kong in 1846. Designed in a symmetrical Palladian style, it is the oldest surviving colonial building in Hong Kong. It was converted to the Museum of Tea Ware in 1984.
Bank of China Tower Completed in 1989, Bank of China Tower was conceived by revered Chinese-American architect I. M. Pei. Clad in glass and steel, the geometric skyscraper features a design that resembles growing bamboo shoots, symbolizing prosperity – a perfect embodiment of tradition and innovation.
Court of Final Appeal Building Court of Final Appeal Building (The Old Supreme Court Building) is a Neo-Classical structure built in 1912. The most iconic feature is the statue of Themis, the goddess of justice, topping the pediment. The statue is an eloquent representation of impartiality and power.
Statue Square Statue Square was built on reclaimed land in the late 19th century. It was the first public area in Hong Kong. Bauhaus-style fountains, pavilions, and landscape gardens were added in the 1950s.
HSBC Main Building Designed by renowned British architect Lord Norman Foster, the HSBC Main Building was inaugurated in April 1986. It was mainly built with steel and aluminium. A modular and flexible design allowing the removal of individual parts of the building was employed.
Standard Chartered Bank Building Designed by Remo Riva, architect and director of P & T Architects & Engineers, the third Hong Kong home of Standard Chartered was completed in 1990. The exterior features pink and grey-brown granite. The floors begin to taper in blocks of six beginning from the 17th storey, resulting in a design reaching to the sky. The building is now the headquarter of Hang lung Properties.
Duddell Street The steps of Duddell Street came into existence between 1875 and 1889. The four gas-powered street lamps on both ends of the steps are two-light Rochester models. They have been the only remaining gas-powered street lamps in service in Hong Kong since 1967. The street and the lamps have been declared monuments of Hong Kong.
Tai Kwun Tai Kwun (The former Central Police Station Compound) encompasses three of Hong Kong's declared monuments: the Victoria Prison (completed in 1841) retains its Victorian-style façade; The former Central Police Station (re-built in 1919) is Hong Kong's first police headquarters; The former Central Magistracy (built in 1914) is in the Greek-revival style.
Kowloon City has witnessed its fair share of Hong Kong history for well over the past 100 years. Starting as a Qing garrison town, it became a sin city of "three non-interventions" and defined an era in Hong Kong. Today, a Jiangnan-style garden has replaced this once-lawless land, with the local Yamen (magistracy) and the former Walled City's South Gate, dating from the Qing dynasty period, the only relics of the past remaining. Swerving jets no longer criss-cross the skies above but in the gritty, compact grid of streets near the old Kai Tak airport, one can still find tong lau, traditional shops, an old temple, and stone houses. Together they mark the charming, old character of this part of Kowloon.
Stone Houses Family Garden Built during the Second World War, the Stone Houses Family Garden were terraced two-storey Chinese-style village houses. A squatter area after the war, the row of concrete and granite houses became a popular location for film shooting by Nam Yan Kee Grave and Tombstone Construction Company. It is now a Grade Three historic building. The original "Nam Yan Kee" signs still remain.
Hau Wong Temple The history of Hau Wong Temple dates back to the Song Dynasty. The temple houses a collection of historical relics from the garrison of the Kowloon Walled City, such as the plaque and red incense burner donated by an official of the Walled City.
The Former Yamen Building of Kowloon Walled City The Former Yamen Building of Kowloon Walled City is the only remainder of the now-demolished Kowloon Walled City. Built in 1847, the gray brick walls and green tile roof are preserved, as is the "Almshouse" inscription at the entrance.
Tai Wo Tong Herbal Medicine Company Tai Wo Tong Herbal Medicine Company is housed in the oldest walk-up building in Kowloon City, allegedly dating back a century ago. One of the features of the building is the colonnade that lines along the pedestrian road, offering shelter from the sun and rain.
1-3 Hau Wong Road The three-storey tong lau buildings at 1-3 Hau Wong Road are Grade Three historic buildings. The uncovered top level forms a large terrace, while a Lok Hau Fook Chinese Restaurant on the ground level boasts more than 50 years of history and memories.
Sheng Kung Hui Holy Trinity Cathedral Built in 1937, the Holy Trinity Cathedral is the oldest Anglican church in Kowloon. The Grade Three historic building combines Western Christian and Chinese Renaissance architectural styles, black and green Chinese steep roof tiles and rooftop sculptures of beasts coexisting with the Cross and peace doves at the centre.
Sung Wong Toi Park Completed in 1959, the Sung Wong Toi Park is said to commemorate the last emperor of the Song Dynasty, who fled to Hong Kong with his younger brother more than 700 years ago after the empire fell to Mongolian invaders. The Sung Wong Toi boulder, damaged during the Japanese occupation, was restored after the war at its present location in the Park.
Hong Kong Aviation Club The Hong Kong Aviation Club was established upon the amalgamation of the Hong Kong Flying Club, the Aero Club of Hong Kong, and the Far East Flying & Technical School. The turbulent situation in Mainland China in the 1920s precipitated the establishment of the Hong Kong Flying Club, which was later replaced by the Far East Flying & Technical School due to a fire and financial problems.
A journey through Ping Shan's traditional Chinese architecture is like traveling in a time machine, retracing the Tang clan's heritage spanning the Song, Yuan, Ming and Qing Dynasties through to the twentieth century. Of particular note in the area are the hexagonal Tsui Sing Lau Pagoda, a gabled deity shrine, the traditional walled village of Sheung Cheung Wai, and Yeung Hau temple, for a taste of old village life. At the ancestral hall and village school, we will study the ideas of space and decorative designs in Chinese architecture. Lastly, we will ascend a hill where the former Ping Shan police station provides for an appreciation of local feng shui.
Tsui Sing Lau Pagoda Tsui Sing Lau Pagoda (also known as Man tower) was built in the late Ming dynasty (fourteenth century) by Tang Yin-tung, an ancestor of the Tang clan of Ping Shan. It was designed to ward off evil spirits and ensure success for clan members in the imperial civil service examinations.
Ping Shan Tin Shui Wai Public Library Completed in 2013, the library was designed with the concept of connecting Tin Shui Wai with the rustic village of Ping Shan. Architects specially applied natural building materials, including stone bricks and wood, and architectural concrete commonly found in modern buildings, enriching the walls and the ceiling of the library with an harmonic blend of past and present styles.
Shrine of the Earth God & Sheung Cheung Wai The Shrine of the Earth God was erected at the border of Ping Shan Heung for the protection of villagers. The gables in the shape of a pan handles, give it a little bit more grandeur over similar shrines. With over 200 years of history, the walls of Sheung Cheung Wai surround the whole village and feature holes at the gateway, protecting the villagers from thieves and allowing them to fight back.
Old Well & Yeung Hau Temple Built long time ago, the Old Well of Ping Shan, with a hexagonal design symbolising infinity, was once the main source of water for local villagers. Believed to have a history of hundreds of years, the Yeung Hau Temple houses its patron god, Yeung Hau, in the main hall, and the Earth God and Lady Kam Fa in the side halls. The walls are decorated with landscapes and the eaves plate under the roof features floral details.
Tang Ancestral Hall Tang Ancestral Hall was built by Tang Fung-shun in the Yuan Dynasty (thirteenth century) to draw together the Tang clan settling in Ping Shan. The three-hall structure is decorated with auspicious Chinese motifs. Red sandstone tablets stand at the altar inscribed with the names of family members who achieved a high rank at the imperial court.
Yu Kiu Ancestral Hall Built in the early sixteenth century (Ming Dynasty), Yu Kiu Ancestral Hall features the same three-hall, two-courtyard layout as Tang Ancestral Hall. The edges of the hall are decorated with two dragon-fish, symbolizing "taking the lead" while auspicious animal sculptures ornate the corners of the roof. Leading the way to the main hall, the pathway paved with red sandstones indicates that members of the family held high office.
Kun Ting Study Hall & Ching Shu Hin Kun Ting Study Hall was built in 1870 by the Tang clan as facilities for both ancestral worship and education. The adjoining Ching Shu Hin was constructed in the same period as a guesthouse for prominent visitors. It exhibits both Eastern and Western influences.
Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre Built in 1899, the Old Ping Shan Police Station is a security stronghold on higher ground, with embrasures that testify to its fortification purpose. There are also verandahs attached for air conditioning in the hot summer.
From the hub of shipping and warehousing before WWII to the "Little Shanghai" and "Little Fujian" that it developed into in the post-war period, North Point has witnessed the richly-layered development of urban Hong Kong through the years. Just a stone's throw from the ever-bustling Chun Yeung Street market stand such landmarks of modernist architecture as the State Theatre, the monolithic tower blocks of Kiu Kwan Mansion, and the Metropole Building. The rich architectural diversity on display at this northernmost tip of Hong Kong Island is as fascinating as it is revealing of the multiple currents of influence that have come to define North Point.
Oi! Oi! was established on the site of the former clubhouse of the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club. Built in 1908, the complex is characterized by its contrasting red brick and coarse stucco façade as well as its irregular layout. It is one of the rare examples of the "Art and Craft" style in Hong Kong, featuring multiple roofs that stand out prominently.
AIA Tower Designed by P & T Architects & Engineers Ltd., and Andrew Lee King Fun & Associates Architects Ltd, AIA Tower is one of the earliest skyscrapers in Hong Kong, featuring a combination structure with walls at the centre forming a cylinder, as well as modular pillars and an external frame on the outside.
State Theatre Opened in 1952 as the Empire Theatre, the State Theatre is the oldest surviving post-war cinema in Hong Kong, featuring a series of concrete arches above its roof – a unique architectural element among all cinemas in the world.
St. Jude's Church Established by Fr. George Caruso in 1953, St. Jude's Church features parallel vertical lines outside and stained glass windows inside, with a statue of St. Jude at the centre.
Ming Yuen Western Street Ming Yuen Western Street was once home to the first amusement park in the Eastern District. The buildings that line the streets mostly date back to the 1950s-1960s, with pragmatic and modernist designs that emphasise simplicity, functionality and natural lighting to the houses.
Kiu Kwan Mansion, Metropole Building Massive huge apartment complexes designed to meet the rapidly increasing need for housing in the 1950s and 1960s. The buildings are small communities unto themselves, combining both residential and commercial facilities. These modernist buildings were also leftist strongholds during the 1967 riots, and Kiu Kwan Mansion was even the target of a famous helicopter raid.
Chun Yeung Street Being named one of the top five wet markets in Hong Kong by CNNGo, Chun Yeung Street is renowned for the unique sight that a tram line runs through the rows of hawker stands in the street.
Tai Po was the most important market town in the northeastern New Territories in the old days. Starting as a center of activity for the Tang clan, the British turned Tai Po into their administrative headquarters for the New Territories after 1898. The old colonial hilltop police station showcases a delicate blend of Western and Chinese architectural styles, while the old colonial District Office is a handsome Edwardian-style structure. These two heritage buildings form an interesting contrast with Man Mo Temple, the traditional street market, and the old railway station down the hill, creating a cultural landscape that records the political, religious, and economic developments of the area.
Green Hub (Old Tai Po Police Station) Now revitalized as a Green Hub, the Old Tai Po Police Station was built in 1899. It is a pragmatic structure with no obvious style inclination.
NT Eastern Region Headquarters of the Scout Association of Hong Kong Erected in 1907, the Old District Office North is a declared monument in Hong Kong, built with elegant red brick walls, keystones and colonnades.
Tai Po Municipal Services Complex Completed in 2003, Tai Po Municipal Services Complex provides a wide range of community services, including a public library, an indoor gymnasium, an open air public space, as well as a market with 300 neatly laid-out stalls and ancillary facilities.
Hong Kong Railway Museum The former Tai Po Market Railway Station was completed in 1913, consisting of a main lobby and two side halls. A fire fending pearl on the building's roof was believed to be able to protect the building from fire and water damages. The indigenous Chinese architecture is paired with English inscriptions at the entrance of the station's name and its year of completion, typical of western buildings.
Man Mo Temple Completed in 1892, the Man Mo Temple is designed as a "siheyuan", a traditional Chinese courtyard. Chinese dragon details adorn the ridge with a central red pearl venerating the sun and moon. The frontal relief depicts artefacts carried by the legendary Eight Immortals, as auspicious decorations.
Kwong Fuk Bridge Completed in 1896, Kwong Fuk Bridge was originally a roofless stone bridge that later went through several renovations. For example, a vehicle lane was added in 1904 and the bridge was further expanded in 1957. The original bridge was demolished in 1986 as the government decided to develop the Tai Po New Town, and a new bridge was built in its place in 1987 with Chinese-style green tiled roofs and corridors. The bridge is still in use.
Tin Hau Kung Tin Hau Kung's history goes back to the reign of the Emperor Kangxi (1691). The roofs of the main hall and the two side halls are tiled in the Chinese style, with the roof of the main hall ornamented with two auspicious dragons chasing a pearl and the roof of each of the side halls decorated with a pair of dragon-fishes. Wall murals depict the Eight Immortals and other Chinese legends.
Tsim Sha Tsui was once the southernmost outpost of the Chinese Empire, from where Qing Dynasty officials watched the British over on Hong Kong Island. Later, this "sharp sand spit" on the edge of Kowloon would develop strategically into a military, transport and maritime trade hub, connecting Hong Kong with the rest of the world. From the former railway clock tower and the Islamic architecture of the Kowloon mosque, to the colonial-style former marine police headquarters, the busy piers, Chungking Mansion and the repurposed military barracks in Kowloon Park, the rich mix of standout buildings in Tsim Sha Tsui powerfully showcase Hong Kong's intrinsic character as a global city.
Former Kowloon-Canton Railway Station Clock Tower The Former Kowloon-Canton Railway Station Clock Tower was completed in 1915. The upper part of the tower is an octagonal domed turret featuring Tuscan columns. Perched on the southern tip of Kowloon, the structure stands out with its symmetrical and elegant design.
Star Ferry Pier Built in the 1950s, the Star Ferry Pier is a simple concrete structure featuring distinctive green and white horizontal stripes, and a two-storey design for efficient embarkation and debarkation.
The Hong Kong Cultural Centre The Hong Kong Cultural Centre was completed in 1989. Inspired by a sculpture with a pair of spreading wings, the building has a dramatic curved rooftop design. Only a slither of glass lets sunlight into the podium, which divides the Concert Hall from the Grand Theatre, the center's two main performance venues.
The Former Marine Police Headquarters Compound Overlooking both shores of Victoria Harbour, The Former Marine Police Headquarters Compound comprises a main building, a stable block, a signal tower and a dockyard. It is an example of Victorian-style architecture.
Fuk Tak Temple Built in 1900, Fok Tak Temple is the only surviving Chinese temple in Tsim Sha Tsui. The temple used to be a place of worship for both dock workers and local Chinese residents.
Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre occupies Blocks S61 and S62 of the former Whitfield Barracks. The austere structure features wide arched verandahs and wooden louvred windows – an example of adapting Western architectural style to local needs.
Kowloon Mosque and Islamic Centre The Kowloon Mosque and Islamic Centre was first built in 1896 and later rebuilt in 1980. The mosque used marble extensively in its construction, with a distinctive Islamic domed roof and four minarets at the corners of its square-shaped body.
Chungking Mansions A landmark of Tsim Sha Tsui since 1961, Chungking Mansions' distinctive appearance in the film Chungking Express has made it legendary. The building serves as a convergence point for people from different nationalities, making it a prime example of globalization in action.
The Peninsula Hong Kong The Peninsula Hong Kong opened its doors in 1928 and is one of the best examples of the Italian Renaissance style of architecture in Hong Kong, with a range of classical features such as rusticated stonework on the façade and keystones in the arch doors. Classical and modern elements are seamlessly interwoven in the hotel extension completed in 1994.
Once home to rice paddies right up to the 1960s, Sha Tin subsequently transformed into one of the first satellite towns to ease urban overcrowding in Hong Kong. Today, an exploration of the atmospheric nineteenth century walled village, still preserved in the area, can give us a glimpse of old local Hakka life. On the other hand, the well-designed public housing estates with their integrated shopping malls and community functions, the "siheyuan-style" Hong Kong Heritage Museum, and Shing Mun River combine to tell the story of Sha Tin as a visionary urban planning project in Hong Kong.
The Che Kung Temple The Che Kung Temple was built to honour Che Kung, a great general of the Song Dynasty. The original temple, a Grade Two historical building, is hidden behind the bigger modern temple we see today, which was built in 1994. The new temple is modeled on the Lingnan architectural style, with salient features such as relief sculptures of sacred creatures, bat-shaped symbols, and imposing paintings in on the ceiling of the main hall.
Old Shatin Police Station Built in 1924, the Old Shatin Police Station was constructed according to a U-shaped plan and incorporated both Chinese and Western architectural elements, including the roof that is adorned with Chinese-style tiles, the walls built using red bricks, and the iron railings of the balcony and the wooden staircases. It is now a Grade Two historic building and is known as the Hong Kong Stewards High Rock Centre.
Tsang Tai Uk Completed in 1867, Tsang Tai Uk is a Hakka walled village with three halls and four rows of houses. The buildings are distributed along the central axis, while towers can be found at the four corners. The gables of the towers are called "Wok Yi" (which literally means "pan handles"), and resemble the hats of imperial officials, adding a further degree of prestige to the clan.
Shing Mun River & Hong Kong Heritage Museum Excavated alongside the development of the Sha Tin New Town in the 1970s, the natural channel of the Shing Mun River was extended to 7km-long and 200m-wide, accompanying the development of the satellite town. Built in 2000, the Hong Kong Heritage Museum is designed as a "siheyuan", a traditional symmetrical Chinese courtyard.
Sha Tin Town Hall Designed by government architects, Sha Tin Town Hall was completed in 1987. Its completion time is similar to that of other town halls in the New Territories. Hosting various community cultural activities, the town hall is mainly functional, with few decorations. The glass mosaic tiles on the exterior walls were replaced with porcelain tiles in 2000, and recently with a grey-white exterior for the town hall's 30th anniversary.
Tao Fong Shan Christian Centre The Centre was founded by the Norwegian missionary Karl Ludvig Reichelt in 1930. Western religious elements were subtly infused in this otherwise Chinese-style structure, such as the lightning rod in the shape of a cross, sculptures of Taoist monks and missionaries standing side-by-side on the ridge, as well as a bronze bell emblazoned with a cross. The building was listed as a Grade Two historic building in 1990.
Lek Yuen Estate Completed in 1975, Lek Yuen Estate was the first public housing estate in Sha Tin New Town. The clover-shaped fountain was the largest of all fountains found in residential estates in Hong Kong in the 1970s, while the estate's cooked food centre, in the shape of a mushroom, was one of the first of its kind.
Once home to a large boat shelter, down-to-earth Yau Ma Tei is right in the heart of urban Kowloon. As the first area north of Victoria Harbour to urbanise, Yau Ma Tei boasts many heritage buildings including a restored Neo-Classical pre-war theatre, the unique wholesale fruit market, and the colonial-style, red-brick former water pumping station. The vitality of grassroots Kowloon can also be found in the area's old Chinese shophouses with their columned walkways, the "poor man's nightclub" on Temple Street, and the local landmark of Tin Hau Temple. Together they form a tapestry that tells the stories of the common people.
Red Brick Building Built in 1895, Red Brick Building survived the decommissioning of the pumping station in 1911, and was declared a Grade One historic building in 2000. Its red brick walls, corridors and tiled roof, a response to the hot environment, are typical of the colonial architectural style.
Yau Ma Tei Theatre Yau Ma Tei Theatre was built in 1930. The Neo-Classical and Art Deco theatre still reflects its original glory thanks to a revitalization project that housed a performance center for Cantonese opera in it.
Yau Ma Tei Wholesale Fruit Market The brick building of Yau Ma Tei Wholesale Fruit Market was erected in 1913. Its brickwork and temporary structure are still visible today. The sleepy fruit market by day is enlivened by busy transport and commerce by night.
Shanghai Street A busy thoroughfare since the mid-19th century, Shanghai Street still retains many old tong lau with balconies that also cover from the rain. Their shophouse design offers a glimpse into civilian life in early Hong Kong.
Mido Cafe Located in a tong lau on Temple Street, Mido Cafe offers both a snapshot and a taste of Hong Kong in the 1950s with a cantilevered canopy, curved walls, historic mosaics and floor decorations.
Tin Hau Temple, Yau Ma Tei Once facing directly onto the waterfront, the Tin Hau Temple at Yau Ma Tei was completed in 1860 and is the oldest Chinese temple in the region.
Yau Ma Tei Community Centre Rest Garden Yau Ma Tei Community Centre Rest Garden dates back to the late-19th century when the government wished to provide a public square for local residents, and became known as the "poor man's nightclub" in the 1960s. Next to the hundred-year-old Tin Hau Temple, the shops, performers, and fortune-tellers that line the streets give the area its distinct character.
Jade Market Originally established by immigrant merchants, the Jade Market moved to its present location in 1984, improving conditions with a roof and ventilation systems. Inside the market, one can find one of Hong Kong's few remaining letter writers, who in the old days helped residents pen messages that they could not write themselves.
Yau Ma Tei Police Station Built in 1922, Yau Ma Tei Police Station is the oldest police station on the Kowloon Peninsula. The V-shaped granite structure covers a large area and reflects many Edwardian influences, while the corridors on the ground floor are local adaptations.
The post-war influx of immigrants transformed Sham Shui Po from a small settlement into one of the most densely populated districts in Hong Kong. We can appreciate the lives of the common people through stories that took place in Shum Shui Po's pre- and post-war tenements, public housing from different periods, street stalls, and temples. Architecturally, these buildings include Chinese shophouses with walkways under columned balconies, the last surviving first-generation H-shaped public housing block, as well as a Neo-Classical police station and a former magistracy. Together they reflect the mix of Chinese and Western cultures and aesthetics in Hong Kong.
Sham Shui Po Police Station Built in 1925, Sham Shui Po Police Station's Neo-Classical architecture features flagstone arches on the ground floor, large columns and ornamental balustrades on the first and second floors, as well as high ceilings to cope with the hot weather in Hong Kong.
Tin Hau Temple, Sham Shui Po Built in 1901 during the reign of Emperor Guangxu, the Tin Hau Temple in Sham Shui Po was originally near the coast. The temple is in the traditional Chinese courtyard-style with green brick walls and granite columns, with an entrance featuring granite frames. Two Chinese dragons compete for a pearl on the roof spine, while on both sides of the ridge, gables are connected in a traditional manner.
Yick Ping Factory, Yee Kuk Street 170 Yee Kuk Street is one of the few pre-war tong lau in the district. The three-storey building applies a high ceiling design to maximize natural light and ventilation within building regulations. The building's minimalist architecture features Tuscan balcony columns.
Pei Ho Street Market 58 Pei Ho Street was built in the 1920s. The Chinese medicine shop on the ground floor features a 1970s custom-made medicine cupboard. The curved balcony on the third floor is a typical design feature of tong laus of the period.
Apliu Street, Pei Ho Street The development of Apliu Street and Pei Ho Street began in the early 20th century. Apliu Street got its Chinese name from the duck sheds that lined the street, and was later industrialized by the government and redeveloped into a distribution centre for electronic products. Pei Ho Street used to be a lower-class residential district, and old shops, such as Kung Wo Beancurd Factory, still retain the old flavour.
Shek Kip Mei Estate The first public housing estate in Hong Kong, Shek Kip Mei Estate was built in 1954 to settle residents who lost their homes to a fire. The original design featured eight blocks constructed in an 'H' configuration with communal sanitary facilities on each floor. Each of the flats has a fixed size and this functional estate was redeveloped in 1972.
Mei Ho House Mei Ho House is part of Hong Kong's oldest public housing complex built in 1954 after the Shek Kip Mei fire. It is a rare example of the H-block shape, six-storey construction, and has now been regenerated as a youth hostel.
SCAD Hong Kong (Former North Kowloon Magistracy) Former North Kowloon Magistracy was built from granite blocks in 1960. The Neo-Classical structure features narrow windows on the façade and an elegant staircase at the entrance and has now been regenerated as SCAD Hong Kong.
Wan Chai was among the first areas to be developed in Hong Kong. It was also home to one of the first urban settlements of Chinese people since colonial times. Despite multiple rounds of large-scale reclamation and development over the years, traces of early urban planning can still be found here today. Modern landmarks jostle for attention with pre-war heritage buildings, and in this intermingling of the old and the new lies a fascinating trove of urban myths and local tales.
Woo Cheong Pawn Shop Originally a four-story pawn shop, this traditional walk-up building, Woo Cheong Pawn Shop completed in 1888, has been given a new lease of life thanks to a successful revitalization project.
Lee Tung Street Known as the "Wedding Card Street" by locals, the old Lee Tung Street was a center for print shops. In 2005, the street was demolished and redeveloped, and today's Lee Tung Avenue has a European theme with a shopping mall and restaurants.
Hopewell Centre Built in the 1970s on the former site of the Hong Kong Grand Theatre and the Ji Gong Shrine at Tik Lung Lane, Hopewell Centre was the tallest building in Hong Kong, and in Asia, at the time of its completion. The tower is renowned for its cylindrical design and is the first in Hong Kong to employ Australian slipform construction methods.
Wan Chai Environmental Resource Centre (Old Wan Chai Post Office) Built between 1912 and 1913, the Old Wan Chai Post Office is the oldest surviving post office building in Hong Kong. Its distinctive architectural features include a simple pitched-roof structure with attractive gable ends and mouldings.
Hotel Indigo Hong Kong Island Designed by renowned international architectural firm Aedas, Hotel Indigo Hong Kong Island won the Asia Pacific Property Award in 2013 for Best Hotel Architecture, Hong Kong. At the top of the hotel is a protruding rooftop swimming pool with a glass bottom.
One Wanchai (Old Wanchai Market) The Old Wanchai Market was a prototypical pre-war Bauhaus building. It was redeveloped into a new shopping mall and residential project, One Wanchai, retaining only the exterior and about half of the frontal area of the original which accounts for about 45% of the total floor area.
Blue House The four-story Blue House is a typical example of South Chinese architecture built in 1922. This rare gem is one of the few walk-up buildings left with balconies.
Pak Tai Temple Originally called "Yuk Hui Kung", Wan Chai's Pak Tai Temple was built by local residents in 1863. It is the biggest temple on Hong Kong Island with a layout similar to a Chinese courtyard house.
Comix Home Base Originally a block of ten pre-war tenement houses listed as Grade Two historic buildings, Comix Home Base is now revitalized along the theme of comics and animations, the very first in Hong Kong, and integrate modern cultural elements into this historical architecture.
Formerly one of Kowloon's 13 original townships, Ngau Chi Wan has been inhabited since the Song Dynasty. Today, it is a rare "village in the city" in Hong Kong. The architecture, layout, and atmosphere of the village is very different from what lies on the other side of the main road. Just a stone's throw away stand the iconic Choi Hung public housing blocks, distinctive in their rainbow-hued facades and which, together with the old shops on the estate, tell the story of grassroots Hong Kong as well as the city's post-war housing policy.
Choi Hung Estate Choi Hung Estate is one of the oldest public housing estates in Hong Kong and has a distinct character. It was constructed between 1962 and 1964, with the building façades painted in multiple colors.
Ngau Chi Wan Village Ngau Chi Wan Village was one of the 13 villages of Kowloon and is a rare example of an extant old village with an urbanized area. It has a history of 200 years.
Ngau Chi Wan Municipal Services Building Founded in 1983 and inaugurated in 1987, Ngau Chi Wan Municipal Services Building is a multi-functional municipal services building in Wong Tai Sin housing various facilities, including a civic centre, a wet market, a public library, government offices and a gymnasium.
St. Joseph's Home for the Aged A neo-classical gatehouse dating back to the mid-1930s, St. Joseph's Home for the Aged features carefully detailed arched gateways. The letters J.M.J. are inscribed under a cross at the top of the gateway, representing Jesus, Mary and Joseph.
Ping Shek Estate Built in the 1970s, Ping Shek Estate is one of the oldest housing estates in Kowloon. Due to its proximity to Kai Tak Airport, the height of the buildings had to be carefully restricted. Home to a number of traditional hairdresser shops and grocery stores, the housing estate offers a snapshot of old Hong Kong.
Sam Shan Kwok Wong Temple The history of Sam Shan Kwok Wong Temple dates back to the mid-Qing dynasty. Mainly built with granite, the three central altars at the central hall pay tribute to Sam Shan Kwok Wong (the Lords of the Three Mountains), Yuen Tan, and Tai Sui.
Academy of Visual Arts, HKBU (Former Royal Air Force Officers' Mess) Constructed in 1934, Former Royal Air Force Officers' Mess constructed in 1934 shows Art Deco influence. It was built after British Standards for barracks but with widened verandahs and doors fitted with louvred shutters for subtropical climate.
One of the first areas to urbanise in old Hong Kong, hilly Sai Ying Pun is characterized by quaint alleys, graceful stairways and welcoming terraces. Its charm also lies in the area's many churches, schools and medical facilities which have witnessed Hong Kong's development as well as transformations in the community. Architecturally, the imposing Edwardian baroque-style Main Building of the University of Hong Kong is a top local landmark. In recent years, gentrification has set in with the Centre Street escalators and the arrival of the MTR.
Main Building of The University of Hong Kong Classical Revival in style, The Main Building of the University of Hong Kong was constructed in 1912. It is supported by granite columns of the Greek Ionic order, typical of English campus buildings.
King's College Completed in 1926, the Neo-Classical campus of King's College was built mainly by red bricks, creating stark contrast with its granite and plaster façade.
Tsung Tsin Mission of Hong Kong Kau Yan Church Originally built in 1852 and rebuilt in 1932, the Tsung Tsin Mission of Hong Kong Kau Yan Church is Hong Kong's first Hakka Church. The concrete and stone building's Gothic revival architecture combines Gothic sharp arched windows and a Tudor-style porticus.
Western District Community Centre Completed in 1922, Western District Community Centre (Old Tsan Yuk Maternity Hospital) is an Edwardian Neo-Classical building with red brick walls on granite. It is now a Grade One historic building.
Second Street Bath House The Second Street Bath House was built in 1904 to address sanitary issues in the Chinese community. With a pink exterior and functional interior layout it is still in operation today as the only public bath house without toilet facilities in Hong Kong.
Fuk Tak Temple Built from red iron sheets, Fuk Tak Temple has been at its location in Sheung Fung Lane for at least a hundred years. This little shrine remains an active centre of Earth God worship, and hosts various annual festivals such as the Earth God's birthday and the Ghost Festival.
Centre Street Centre Street is the steepest street in Hong Kong, with a slope as steep as 1:4. Escalators connecting Third Street and Bonham Road were completed in 2013 to facilitate commuting.
Yu Lok Lane Tenement Houses The historic tenement houses in Yu Lok Lane were first built in 1918. They are representative of the earlier generation of surviving tenement buildings in Hong Kong, with red brick walls, wooden floors and Chinese-style roof tiles atop wooden roofs.
King George V Memorial Park Completed in 1936, King George V Memorial Park retains a number of granite walls and classic English-style fences, and is extensively dotted by old banyan trees.
Sai Ying Pun Community Complex Nicknamed the "High Street Ghost House", the Old Mental Hospital was completed in 1892 featuring early baroque details such as arched verandahs and heavily rusticated granite blocks. The building was converted into the Sai Ying Pun Community Complex in 2001, with only the granite façade of the old hospital preserved.
The largest industrial area in East Kowloon, Kwun Tong boasts a past that goes back to the Northern Song Dynasty when the shores were lined with government salt yards. Large-scale reclamation took place post-war, with large numbers of utilitarian factory buildings and public facilities completely changing the face of Kwun Tong. Today, these defining buildings of a bygone era stand in stark contrast to the gleaming office towers that have risen in the area in the past decade. A journey that takes-in the factories, many of which have now been revamped for a variety of modern uses, and the new Kwun Tong promenade reveals both the stories of post-war Hong Kong as well as the dramatic urban changes of recent times.
Yue Man Square The group of post-war tong lau in Yue Man Square are typical of the 1950-60s style. A covered walkway offers protection from the rain, while the various shops serve residents of the heavily populated area. Local residents used the second-floor platform as a communal leisure space.
Tung Yan Street Interim Hawker Bazaar Located in one of the poorest districts of Hong Kong, Tung Yan Street Interim Hawker Bazaar houses hawker stores displaced by the redevelopment of Mut Wah Street and Hip Wo Street and the dawn markets of Yan Oi Court, in the hopes of keeping Kwun Tong's old communities alive.
Kwun Tong Industrial Centre Established in the 1950s, the decline in heavy industry caused many Kwun Tong factories to lie empty. Revitalization focused on transitioning the buildings to commercial use, and the district was transformed by attracting creative industries and specialty shops with relatively affordable rents.
Camel Paint Building The first and second buildings that comprise Camel Paint Building were completed in 1981, while the third was completed in 1989. Following revitalization, the buildings became home to a variety of small shops, with the third building being the most popular.
Wai Yip Street Industrial Area Another target for revitalization in Kwun Tong, a number of industrial buildings along Wai Yip Street have been acquired and redeveloped into eco-friendly commercial buildings. The Wai Yip Street pedestrian bridge has become a local attraction for photographers after being featured in the film Love in a Puff.
Kwun Tong Promenade Kwun Tong Promenade was built on the site of the former Kwun Tong Public Cargo Working Area under the Kai Tak Development. Opened in 2015, the waterfront boardwalk is roughly one kilometer in length.
Kai Tak Cruise Terminal Located at the former site of the Kai Tak Airport runway, the terminal offers a beautiful view of Victoria Harbour. The three-storey building's environmentally friendly and functional design earned it a Platinum Certification for BEAM Plus New Buildings from the HKGBC.
Kowloon Flour Mills Kowloon Flour Mills is the most prominent post-war factory building. Inaugurated in 1966, it features a highly visible, colossal white column – one of the architectural landmarks of the Kwun Tong industrial district.
Believe it or not, Stanley was named after the kapok tree. It was the most populated area on Hong Kong Island when the British arrived in 1841. The many temples along the coast speak to its humble origins as a fishing village. It later became a military base with residences housing Europeans. Colonial-era public buildings that can still be found today include the local post office and the former police station with its colonnaded open verandahs. A peculiar development in recent years has seen Stanley turned into a "dumping ground" for heritage buildings from elsewhere in Hong Kong. Today, this Neo-Classical structure with verandahs flanked by Ionic and Doric columns has become a much loved albeit adopted landmark along Stanley's promenade.
Stanley Municipal Services Building Opened in 2006, The Stanley Municipal Services Building adopts a simple yet modern design that adheres to green codes of construction. It features a walled courtyard modelled on traditional Chinese courtyard house, with a glass floor that allows sunlight to penetrate during the day, and lighting inside the hall to illuminate the courtyard at night.
Old Stanley Police Station Completed in 1859, The Old Stanley Police Station is the oldest police station in Hong Kong that has been preserved to this day. This austere two-storey building features open verandahs on both the front and at the back.
Stanley Post Office Stanley Post Office, the post office with the longest history in Hong Kong, has been operating since 1937. It was built in an utilitarian style with wooden beams and trusses, plastered walls, and wooden doors and windows. The building design is simple and minimalist.
Stanley Public Dispensary Stanley Public Dispensary was originally a 1930s residential building. It was later redeveloped into a public clinic and maternity ward in 1948 under the supervision of the Department of Health, providing medical services to the nearby residents who earned a living by fishing.
Pat Kan Uk Pat Kan Uk was built in the 1930s to relocate residents displaced by barracks construction during the British occupation. Its design is a blending of East and West, with a traditional Chinese layout and walls built with Western-style red bricks, a building material commonly used in western architecture.
Shui Sin Temple Completed during the reign of the Qianlong Emperor (1736-1795), Shui Sin Temple is the only temple in Hong Kong worshipping the water deity, "Shui Sin". The temple is in Qing rustic style with brick walls, while the steps and corners are made of granite.
Murray House Constructed in 1844, Murray House incorporates both Eastern and Western styles in its architectural design. The Greek-revival pillars and Chinese-style tile roof were part of the Murray Barracks. The building underwent brick-by-brick relocation to Stanley in 1998.
Blake Pier The original Blake Pier was located in Central, and was relocated to its existing site in Stanley after several iterations of demolition and redevelopment. It was once a place of disembarkation for the new Governor, members of the Royal family and important figures upon arrival to Hong Kong. It is now a public pier with ferry services offered between Aberdeen and Po Toi Island.
Tin Hau Temple in Stanley Tin Hau Temple in Stanley was built in the Qing dynasty in 1767, during the reign of Qianlong Emperor. The temple was designed in Chinese courtyard style with an atrium in the middle. The temple still retains the Qing-era bronze bell.
Causeway Bay is not just about shopping and entertainment. In fact, there is a surprisingly rich amount of history and culture in the delightful variety of architecture the district offers. Causeway Bay is home to, among other interesting structures, an octagonal Chinese temple, an impressive Chinese renaissance-style church, and a Neo-Classical structure that houses the headquarters of a prominent local charity. The chemistry of the interplay between Chinese and Western styles, together with the juxtaposition of the old with the new in the cityscape, combine to chart the evolution of Hong Kong from its colonial past to the present day.
Lin Fa Temple Built in 1863, Lin Fa Temple stands out among its Chinese temple peers with its unique octagonal shape. It is also the starting point of the annual fire dragon dance in Tai Hang.
Lai Tak Tsuen Lai Tak Tsuen was built in 1975. Lai Kit Lau and Tak Chuen Lau are the only two public housing estate buildings of their kind in Hong Kong, employing a cylindrical design with fan-shaped units, allowing for natural light and air convection.
Wun Sha Street The Chinese name of Wun Sha Street literally means "silk washing", referring to a nearby nullah where residents used to wash silk. The northern part of the street is now known as "Fire Dragon Path", as it became one of the main venues for the fire dragon dance, which takes place in Tai Hang every year.
Hung Shing Yi Hok , No. 12 School Street Hung Shing Yi Hok (literally, Confucius free school for the poor) symbolised an early confucianist education in Hong Kong and the efforts made by Hongkongers to preserve Chinese culture. The building has a low-profile architectural style with a cubic appearance, flat roof and white walls. It was rebuilt in 1949 and is listed as a Grade Three historic building.
Hong Kong Central Library Hong Kong Central Library opened in 2001 and is the largest public library in Hong Kong. It was designed in a postmodern style, with the outer walls giving a nod to the Renaissance, combining Grecian columns and modern glass curtain walls, while the central courtyard and bullet elevator are reminiscent of Hong Kong's shopping malls.
St. Mary's Church Sheng Kung Hui St. Mary's Church was constructed in 1937 in a Chinese Renaissance style, rich in Chinese architectural features, making it one-of-a-kind on Hong Kong Island.
Christ the King Chapel Completed in 1930, the elegant and sublime Christ the King Chapel is in pre-war Classical Revival style. The church structure is embellished with a dramatic dome supported by Corinthian columns.
Pedestrian Footbrige in Yee Wo Street The iconic circular footbridge in Causeway Bay is the very first of its kind in Hong Kong. Built in 1985 to give pedestrians a convenient walkway over Yee Wo Street to avoid the busy road traffic below, nowadays it sees much less foot traffic.
Fashion Walk Fashion Walk was opened in 1998 and refurbished in 2014, and is a hub for fashion, lifestyle, and food. It comprises both indoor and outdoor shopping spaces on four streets in the heart of Causeway Bay. The area is well remembered for being the center of popular Japanese shopping malls, such as Daimaru, in the past, was also named "Hong Kong's Smart Fashion Destination" by USA Today in 2015.
Fanling is laden with heritage architecture that narrates the rich local history. The Art Deco-influenced Luen Wo Market with its bazaar and nearby theatre recall the buzz of its former life as the hub of local trade and social life. The Yellow Emperor Hall and Tsung Kyam Church present very different architectural styles, pointing to the varied folk beliefs and religious faiths of the local community. The nearby indigenous walled village of Lo Wai with its Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall, stand testament to the legacy of clans that came from southern China to settle here throughout the centuries.
Luen Wo Market Built in 1951, Luen Wo Market belongs to the early school of Modernism in style. The building, with its cement plaster finish, is supported by concrete columns, and was an important local market center through the mid to late twentieth century.
Former Fanling Theatre The Former Fanling Theatre opened in 1953 and was originally open-air. In 1959, it was redeveloped into a two-storey building, with the four large walls bearing most of the building's weight, leaving most of the interior space available for seating. As one of the only 28 surviving standalone movie theatres, this theatre has been declared a Grade Three historic building.
Wong Tai Temple Previously named Hin Yuen Temple, Wong Tai Temple was built in 1925 and was originally a formal meeting place for On Lok Village in Fanling. Redeveloped as a 7-storey building and renamed as Wong Tai Temple in 2003, the temple enshrines important figures in Confucian, Taoist and Buddhist worship on different floors, presenting an integration of the three religions.
Tsung Kyam Church Built in 1927 by Hakka Christian immigrants who settled in Hong Kong after the 1860s, Tsung Kyam Church is Baroque in architectural style with a magnificent façade that declares its ecclesiastical use.
Ma Wat Wai Built during the reign of the Qianlong Emperor (1736-1795), Ma Wat Wai's gateway is engraved with the characters "Wat Chung", meaning the flourishing growth of plants. The village was originally enclosed by walls and watchtowers. Today, only the gateway tower remains.
Lo Wai As the earliest walled village built by the Tang Clan in Lung Yeuk Tau, Lo Wai is a typical, traditional walled village equipped with weapons and designed for protecting villagers. Watch points on the walls overlook the surroundings. The narrow and easily defensible gateway is purely functional with few decorations. Originally facing north, the entrance of Lo Wai was moved to face east for better feng shui.
Tin Hau Temple The Tin Hau Temple at Fanling underwent renovation in 1913. The two-hall structure is decorated with plaster moldings and murals of auspicious motifs. Inside the temple stand statues of Chin Lei Ngan and Shun Fung Yi, two deities with extraordinary senses of hearing and sight respectively.
Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall The three-hall building, Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall, was constructed in 1525 with a pair of exquisitely made dragon fishes decorating the ridge of the roof and figurines of auspicious animals on the four corners of the eaves, reflecting the superb craftsmanship that was applied.
Home to Hong Kong's last fishing village, Tai O is a quaint corner of Hong Kong with waterways, different styles of stilt houses (from the early barrel form to the later double-storey variety), and old temples. Everywhere you turn there is something new and charming to be discovered about this village on the water. The modern Sun Kee Bridge, replacing the old "cable ferry", has transformed local life. Further along at the edge of village, the old Tai O police station, with its elegant colonial verandahs, has been revitalized and transformed into a heritage hotel – one of the best examples of heritage building conservation in Hong Kong.
Wing On Street The earliest records of Wing On Street date back to 1810. Through history, it had been home to the prospering fishing and salt farming industry. Time has changed and today, Wing On Street is known for its dried seafood products.
Tai O Stilt Houses Stilt houses in Tai O have more than 200 years of history and are essentially huts built along the riverside. Originally built with stone pillars, wooden planks and covered with huge leaves, the abodes began to be enclosed by tin plate walls and roofs several decades ago, while kwan din wood replaced the stone pillars to strengthen the structure.
Tai O Chung Pedestrian Footbridge Tai O Chung Pedestrian Footbridge opened in 1996. This suspension footbridge is built with cables extended from the bridge towers and can be raised to allow ships to pass beneath.
Shrimp paste shops in Shek Tsai Po Street As the longest road in Tai O, Shek Tsai Po Street is a major home to Tai O's famous shrimp paste shops, where visitors can buy shrimp paste that is freshly made and processed by factories.
The Tai O Heritage Hotel (Old Tai O Police Station) The Tai O Heritage Hotel (Old Tai O Police Station) was constructed on the hillside in 1902. It is a Colonial-style parlor combining Eastern and Western architectural elements, which underwent restoration works and is now the Tai O Heritage Hotel.
Kwan Tai Temple Built during the reign of the Ming Emperor Hongzhi (1488-1505) and rebuilt in 1741, the Kwan Tai Temple consists of two green brick halls with Chinese roof tiles and clay sculptures on top. The sculptures are based on traditional stories or auspicious symbols, such as the Generals of the Yang Family, phoenixes flying to the sun and a pair of dragon-fishes.
Wing Hing Petrol Station Built before 1941, the Wing Hing Petrol Station building features white walls and red steel gates with floral detailing atop the gateway. This functional building was simply built for storing kerosene.
Yeung Hau Temple The Yeung Hau Temple, dedicated to Marquis Yang Liangje, a Southern Song Dynasty general, was built in 1699. The temple is lavishly decorated with Shiwan ceramic figurines on the main ridge of the roof, and a collection of porcelain and wood cravings with auspicious meanings inside the building.
Why should I encourage students to join this program? How will they benefit from it?
The "Hang Lung Young Architects Program" is organized with a view to offering local secondary students from Form 2 to Form 5 a valuable opportunity to learn about features of architecture in Hong Kong and their history. The program comprises a rich lineup of seminars, guided tours, interactive workshops, and Self-designed Tour Competition to facilitate the exploration of landmark architecture in the community and lead students to an appreciation of the beauty and significance of architecture under the guidance of architects and mentors. Through participation, students will deepen their understanding of Hong Kong's unique history and culture expressed in its cityscape, preparing them for further exploration of the city's unique personality. The program will also offer the opportunity for exchanges with architects and industry professionals.
Do the winning teams need to pay any fees for the overseas architectural tours?
All fees incurred in the tour (including accommodation, airfare, and travel insurance) will be paid for by Hang Lung Properties. Visa application and related fees will be paid for by the students themselves if necessary.
How will students be teamed?
Participating students from the same school will be divided into teams of six. Each team will participate in the program's activities and compete with each other in the contest. No swapping of team members is allowed for the duration of the program year.
What if participating students need to drop out of the program?
We encourage students to participate in all of the program's activities. Those students who failed to attend at least 4 activities apart from opening and closing ceremony or those who drop out midway will not be awarded the "Young Architects Program" certificate. Any student wishes to drop out should notify the Organizer in writing.
Will a student dropping out of the program or the absence of a team member affect the team's grade?
The Organizer will select the Best Performing Team of the Year based on students' participation throughout the entire program and performance of Self-designed Tour Competition. Any student dropping out of the program or the absence of a team member will affect the team's grade.
If a student fails to complete a task on time or misses any of the activities, can they continue to participate in the activities that follow?
The "Hang Lung Young Architects Program" is conducted over the course of a year and each team will be graded based on their participation throughout the entire program and performance of Self-designed Tour Competition. Since there are many closely related activities, we suggest that students participate in every task and activity throughout the program. The Organizer reserves the right to disqualify any team should its member(s) severely violate the regulations.
Will the activities affect normal school days? Will they be organized on weekends or holidays?
All activities will be scheduled for weekends/public holiday to facilitate ease of attendance by students.
What if a student is unable to attend a scheduled activity?
We encourage students to attend all of the program's scheduled activities. Any student who wishes to obtain leave of absence for non-medical reasons should send an email with reasons to youngarchitects@hanglung.com three days in advance. Any student requesting sick leave for the day of a scheduled activity must notify his/her team mentor.
What is the role of school teachers? Do they need to attend the activities?
School teachers are mainly responsible for enrollment coordination and reminding students about upcoming schedule activities.
Can parents and friends of the participating students attend the activities?
The "Hang Lung Young Architects Program" is targeted at students. We encourage students to share their experiences with parents and friends after activities. School Sharing as one of the requirements of the program will be scheduled for students to share what they have learnt with their schoolmates.
Students may need extra money to buy materials, will the Organizer provide a subsidy for students?
We want to encourage students to exercise their research and thinking skills in generating creative ideas that do not require large quantities of materials for props and other objects. For this reason, a subsidy for this purpose will not be provided.
If an activity is cancelled before it begins or halfway, how will students be notified?
Participants will receive email and/or phone notification of activity arrangements.
Is there a dress code for the program's activities?
The Organizer has designed "Hang Lung Young Architects Program" uniform for students to wear during activities for identification purposes.
What if students have an enquiry about the program?
Students are encouraged to make enquiries via email to youngarchitects@hanglung.com.
How will the Organizer contact students and publish information about activities?
The "Hang Lung Young Architects Program" will upload the latest information about activities to the program website. Participants will also receive notifications of activity arrangements and relevant details via email and/or phone.
What arrangements are in place in case of inclement weather?
An activity will be rescheduled when the Red/Black Rainstorm Warning or Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No. 8 or above is issued and is still in force two hours before an event is scheduled to begin. In-progress activities may also be cancelled by the Organizer depending on the weather conditions. In case of inclement weather, participants will be contacted by email and/or phone with further arrangements.